Friday, July 12, 2013

So I googled the word "beauty"



...and naturally I thought I would see some beautiful women.  But I also thought maybe I would see beautiful nature shots, or beautiful art, or beautiful animals.  I didn't actually think about it too hard. 

So I was a little surprised at how women dominate the word "beauty."  And there's no focus on legs or breasts or the small of the back or any of the other beautiful places on a woman's body.  It's entirely focused on the woman's face.  And it's all close-ups and extreme close-ups.  It made me think that it's not men searching for beauty.  It's women!  They're searching for beauty, and in particular they are searching for beauty products for their face. 

So if you think there's no sex discrimination in our society, google "beauty" some time!

And yes, there was one man in that search.  And you will never guess who it was. 

4 comments:

chickelit said...

But I also thought maybe I would see beautiful nature shots, or beautiful art, or beautiful animals.

Only people google--and half of them are men.

edutcher said...

If you had to show one guy, it should not be young Mr Braddock.

Saint Croix said...

Only people google--and half of them are men.

I thought it would be more eclectic. I was expecting to see at least some abstract photographs of beauty.

No! It was very specific, and very focused.

Women are focused on beauty for sexual purposes. And men too! Also the engine of capitalism is definitely at work there. People are selling products to make money, and they are doing that to attract a mate and provide for a family.

So there's a lot of sex obsession in our society (in every society!) that is really, really illustrated by that google search, I think.

Abstract notions of beauty are pushed aside because there are far more important issues at play here.

Saint Croix said...

Feminism had a lot of political successes. But when they declared war on beauty, it was a rout. I can hear women scoffing from here!